Stay Ahead of Gum Disease with Periodontal Treatments
Gum disease is one of the most common and most damaging dental problems facing our Bay Shore, NY, patients. Nearly half of adults in the United States suffer from some degree of gum disease, which continues to be a leading cause of tooth loss. If you have swollen or bleeding gums, Drs. Daniel P. Duggan and John E. Seylar may be able to save your smile with gum disease treatment. Early intervention can prevent tooth decay, gum tissue recession, and other undesirable symptoms of periodontitis. In addition to serving Bay Shore, we also serve patients in nearby West Islip and North Babylon, NY.
What Causes Gum Disease?
Periodontal disease damages the areas that support the teeth, including the gums and alveolar bone. Known risk factors for gum disease include:
- Advanced age
- Tobacco use
- Certain medications
- Poor nutrition
- Poor oral hygiene
- Tooth crowding
Unfortunately, the symptoms of gum disease are not always immediately obvious. During a visit to our Bay Shore dental practice, one of our doctors will examine your smile to identify potential signs of the condition, including:
- Red or swollen gums
- Bleeding gums
- Gum tissue recession
- Gum tissue that is separating from teeth
- Persistent bad breath
Types of Gum Disease
Gum disease is generally classified into three stages:
- Gingivitis: This early stage of gum disease is characterized by inflammation of the gum tissues and bleeding while brushing or flossing. Fortunately, regular dental cleanings and improved oral hygiene can reverse many of the symptoms of gingivitis.
- Periodontitis: Left untreated, gingivitis will progress to periodontitis. Patients with this more advanced stage of gum disease are at higher risk for irreversible damage to the fibers and bone that hold teeth in place. Only professional deep cleanings can reverse this dental condition.
- Advanced Periodontitis: Tooth loss is a real threat to individuals suffering from advanced periodontitis. At this final stage, teeth begin to shift and loosen. If the gum disease has been untreated for too long, one or more teeth may need to be extracted at our Bay Shore dental practice. If necessary, we can replace these lost teeth with dental implants.
Benefits of Gum Disease Treatment
Maintaining healthy gums is critical to maintaining optimal oral health. By undergoing periodontal care at our dental practice, you can benefit from:
- Fresh breath
- Relief from bleeding and sore gums
- Prevention of tooth loss
- Affordable treatment
- Preventative care that can lower your long-term dental care costs
- Candidacy for cosmetic and restorative treatments
- A beautiful smile
Furthermore, there are proven benefits to your overall health, as well. Studies have shown a link between gum disease and health issues like including diabetes and heart disease. As a result, keeping your gums healthy can also keep your entire body healthy.
Gum Disease Treatments
For patients with the early stages of gingivitis, regular dental cleanings twice a year are often enough to keep the gums healthy. During your visit, a member of our dental team will gently remove plaque and tartar deposits. If one of our dentists or hygienists observe signs of gum disease, they can recommend simple home remedies, like flossing and therapeutic mouthwashes, to address your symptoms.
More advanced stages of gum disease may require deep cleanings, also known as scaling and root planing. During this procedure, your gums will be numbed using a topical anesthetic. Then the doctor can remove tartar from above and below the gum line, a procedure referred to as scaling. Afterward, one of the doctors can perform root planing to smooth the surface of your roots to prevent the return of plaque deposits and infection. Antibiotics can also be applied or prescribed to address advanced infections.
Patients who have advanced periodontitis that cannot be treated using non-surgical means may require pocket reduction surgery or another surgical gum disease treatment.
Schedule Your Gum Disease Treatment Today
Once your gum disease treatment is complete, most patients can enjoy fully restored oral health. With proper oral hygiene habits and twice-a-year visits to Duggan Dental Group, you can prevent the return of gum disease. Our office offers CareCredit® financing to help patients afford treatment. To schedule your gum disease treatment, contact our office online or call (631) 586-6300.
"We love Dr. Duggan and his staff. Everyone is friendly and professional and we feel that they would do anything for our family. We highly recommend to anyone!"Colleen Kelly V.